2 years ago, when I’d decided to pull the Firebird’s engine, I wanted to build an engine cradle / dolly – I was learning to weld, and it seemed like a good project.
Fast forward 2 years, and I was ready to pull the engine, so I just ordered a cradle online. I ordered it 14+ days before we pulled the engine, and even with repeated promises from the supplier, it never arrived. So there I was with the engine out of the car, on the hoist, and no cradle.
Over the next few weeks, we designed and built a cradle with casters – now we can move the engine around as needed. We still need to finish up the cross support bar, but it is nice & sturdy as-is.
A few build pics are below – check out the full picasa gallery for more.